IGP Nasir Khan Durrani. PHOTO: FILE
The Charsadda police have registered a First Investigation Report (FIR) into the Wednesday’s terrorist attack at the Bacha Khan University (BKU), which left 21 dead and over 30 injured.
“An FIR of the Charsadda attack has been registered by the SHO Sardheri Police against unknown persons,” the District Police Officer (DPO) Khalid Sohail told The Express Tribune on Thursday.
Police officials said efforts were underway for determining the identify of all four terrorists who were killed during the security forces’ clean-up operation after the assault was launched at the university.
Further, the DPO announced a reward of Rs1 million for those who provide intelligence regarding anyone who is directly or indirectly involved in the deadly terrorist act.
Meanwhile, Mohammad Ayaz, a victim of BKU attack, succumbed to his injured in Peshawar’s Lady Reading Hospital (LRH). The Charsadda police also confirmed the death toll rising to 21 in the terror attack.
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) Inspector General of Police (IGP) Nasir Khan Durrani also visited the LRH in Peshawar and inquired after the injured victims of the attack. “We have launched investigation into the attack and will bring the facilitators and abettors of terrorism to justice,” he told media men during his visit.
The IGP’s statement came hours after the Foreign Office said it is too early to draw conclusions regarding who was behind the deadly attack on the varsity.
“It is premature to draw any conclusion as to who may be behind the Charsada university attack before investigations are complete,” Foreign Office spokesperson Qazi Khalilullah said.
Speaking at the weekly briefing in Islamabad, Khalilullah said, “Pakistan strongly condemns the attack on Bacha Khan University in which at least 21 people lost their lives.” Initial investigations reveal that attackers were in contact with their handlers reportedly operating from Afghanistan, he added.
Following the attack on the state-run university, the chief military spokesperson said on Wednesday the Bacha Khan University attackers were in touch with their handlers in Afghanistan during the assault.
“The attackers were in touch with a number from Afghanistan,” Lt-Gen Asim Saleem Bajwa, director general of the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), told a news briefing in Peshawar.
SIMs used in the phones, he said, were of Afghan origin. According to him, a mobile phone recovered from one of the attackers was receiving calls even after he had been killed.
At least four terrorists, armed with sub-machine guns, pistols and hand grenades, launched the attack around 8:45am when the campus was enveloped in thick morning fog.
According to eyewitnesses and officials, the terrorists scaled the back wall of the campus and entered the guest house of vice chancellor where they shot dead assistant caretaker Fakhre Alam.
A splinter group of the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan had claimed responsibility for the sickening violence at the university in the Palosa area, 15km southeast of the main Charsadda Bazaar. However, the fugitive leadership of the umbrella group denied their involvement.
By Shamim Shahid Published in The Express Tribune